How to activate or link your Roku streaming device
When you first use your Roku player or Roku TV, you will be prompted to create, activate, and link a Roku account. In order to do so, you will need to use an activation link that will be sent to the email address you provided during the registration process.
The steps you need to take to activate your Roku device
Once you’ve followed the hardware setup instructions in your Roku’s Quick Start Guide, you can begin Guided Setup.
Guided Setup requires an email address to activate. To link your Roku account, use an email address that you regularly check. Your Roku account stores your streaming devices, channels, preferences, and settings. To manage your Roku account and receive important notifications, you need a valid email address. Choose a secure password.
Learn how to create and use a free Roku account. Roku doesn’t charge to activate or create an account. Learn how to avoid fraudulent websites and support scams.
You are going to need access to your email in order to verify your account, so make sure to keep your smartphone or computer nearby. When you are ready to activate your Roku device, the following steps need to be taken:
- Connect your Roku to the internet.
- Enter your e-mail address when prompted.
- Using the email address associated with your Roku account will allow you to log in.
- In order to use Roku Pay, you’ll need to add a payment method to your Roku account when you first sign up.
- Find the Roku activation email on your computer or phone. Check your spam folder if you can’t find the message.
- Click Roku’s email activation link.
- Follow the instructions on Roku’s website to create a free account or log in.
Complete all website steps before returning to your Roku. Once all steps are completed, you’ll see “Setup complete!” Any streaming channels you chose will be downloaded and installed after activation, and your Roku will be ready to use. After activation, you can remove or update channels.
When Roku doesn’t send an activation email
If you don’t receive a Roku activation email after completing the steps, check a few things to complete activation. If you don’t see an activation email, try these:
- Wait. In some cases, the activation email can take minutes. Wait a few minutes before troubleshooting.
- Check your email address. Extra characters in an email address can prevent it from activating.
- Inbox spam. Unrecognized senders may be blocked and their messages sent to a spam or junk folder. Check your spam folder and add Roku as a trusted sender to make sure you get the activation email and other emails from Roku.
How to fix a broken Roku link
Try again to activate your Roku by following the troubleshooting steps in your activation email, or if your activation link is not working,
- The Star button on your Roku remote can be pressed.
- Select Edit Email from the drop-down menu.
- Whenever prompted, enter or update your email address again.
- Be on the lookout in your emails for a new activation code.
Use a different email address to activate your Roku if you still can’t receive the activation email.
Troubleshooting other activation issues
Visit the Device Issues section of the Roku support site for more help.
When setting up your Roku, you’ll be prompted to connect it to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Before activating your Roku, follow the on-screen instructions to connect it to your home network and the internet.
Linking a payment method to your account at activation lets you buy Channel Store subscriptions easily. You can add Roku Channel Premium Subscriptions, rent or buy movies and TV shows, and buy upgrades, offers, and accessories.
Create a Roku PIN to prevent unauthorized purchases.
Identifying and fixing problems with activation links
If you see an error or get stuck during activation, visit the Roku support site for help.
After 30 minutes, the email activation link expires. If you see “Your account activation link expired” or “We can’t reach you by Email,” tap “Resend” on your Roku device to send another email. After a moment, Roku will send you another activation link.
If you see either message after receiving a new activation link, try a different email address.
When you first activate your Roku device, you will be prompted to create, activate, and link a Roku account. To do so, you must use an activation link that will be sent to the email address you provided during the registration process. To manage your Roku account and receive important notifications, you need a valid email address.
If Roku doesn’t send an activation email after completing the steps, check your spam folder if you can’t find the message. When activating your Roku device, you’ll be prompted to connect it to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. After 30 minutes, the email activation link expires. If you see an error or get stuck during activation, visit the Roku support site for help. Use a different email address to activate your Roku if you still can’t receive the activation email.