How to cancel HBO Max
This is one of the most comprehensive streaming services out there. For $14.99 a month, you can watch a huge selection of mainstream and independent movies, HBO series, and Max originals like Lovecraft Country and Search Party.
HBO Max will even let you stream Warner Bros. movies the day they come out in theatres in 2021. When you compare HBO Max to other services like Netflix and Hulu, the $14.99 price tag isn’t too bad for what you get. But it’s still one of the more expensive streaming services, so if you decide to cancel your membership, there are a few ways to do it, depending on how you signed up for HBO Max in the first place and what hardware you’re using.
We’ve put together this guide to the most common ways to cancel a streaming service, whether you don’t like it after the free trial or want to cancel in the middle of your billing cycle.
Canceling using a mobile device
Here’s how to cancel your subscription using the HBO Max app on an iPhone, iPad, or similar Android device.
- Open the HBO Max app and then tap the Profile icon in the lower right corner of the home screen. From here, tap the gear-shaped icon for Settings.
- Tap Billing Information on the next screen. You can go one of two ways from here.
- If “Manage Subscription” appears on the next screen, tap that. Then, on the final screen, tap Cancel Subscription. If you see “Learn More” instead of “Manage Subscription,” it means you can find out more.
- Tap “Learn More” to see a list of places that offer HBO Max. Find your subscription service provider, and then follow the steps below to cancel your Max subscription.
Canceling using a computer
Here’s how to cancel HBO Max on your Mac or Windows PC if that’s how you prefer to manage your subscriptions.
- Get on HBOMAX.com. If you aren’t already signed in, click “Sign In” at the top right of the home page. After you log in, click the icon that looks like your name (top-right).
- Click Billing Information, and then click Manage Subscription on the next screen. Click the “Cancel Subscription” button.
- If you don’t have the Manage Subscription option, click Learn More to see a list of HBO service providers. Follow the steps to cancel your subscription after you click on your provider.
Canceling through Hulu
Did you know that you can get both Hulu and HBO Max in one package? The prices are the same, but the way to cancel is a little different. Here is how to change your Hulu subscription to HBO Max.
- Go to www.hulu.com/account. If you haven’t already signed in, you’ll need to do that first.
- Click on “Manage Plan” under “Your Subscription.”
- Look for HBO Max, change the checkmark to an “X,” and then click “Review Changes.” That’s the end of the story.
- Keep track of when your bills are due. HBO Max automatically renews every month. After your seven-day free trial, you’ll be charged for the first time. If you cancel just one or two days before your next billing date, you won’t be charged for the next month.
- Also, if you cancel in the middle of the month, you can still stream for the rest of that month.
- Your subscription will still work even if you delete the HBO Max app. If you want to cancel, make sure to follow the steps above, or you will be charged.