How to Attach Flex Duct to Plenum
How to Attach Flex Duct to Plenum?
As an HVAC unit is a part of every home, you must be fully aware of the duct system. A rightly fixed system is close-fitted, noise-free, ensures minimum restriction to airflow, and is cost-effective. So, it is vital to know how to attach flex duct to plenum and other parts.
How to Prepare?
So, before you start any project, you must plan. So, when you start connecting ducts, you must prepare and organize yourself as it will help avoid any unexpected issues.
Though every installation is distinct, you need to have the following essential tools available:
- Tin Snips
- Metal Sheet Screws
- Metal Handers
- Duct Pipe and Fittings
Besides, you must be mindful of some fundamental aspects while installing the ducts, which are as follows:
- How much ductwork will you require for the installation?
- Which is the ideal position for vents and inlets?
- Which is the best passageway to route the duct?
- What type of return air system will you use?
- How much air does each home area require?
What is Plenum?
Did you know that plenum is a hub of chambers that gather conditioned air that emits the heater? Also, it is the initial stage of the ductwork system you have to deal with during installation. And it is connected to the supply air opening of the heater.
Which Components You Require For Installation?
The sole component required for the initial stage of the installation is a plenum assembling kit. Hence, it will provide you access to all necessary equipment for the installation procedure.
How to Fix?
Before fixing the plenum, you must know some essential things. First, the plenum is available in two distinct designs – universal plenum and custom plenum. However, the universal plenum will allow you to trim the panels for appropriate fixing that matches your brand heater. At the same time, the custom plenum has precise dimensions that are specified to fit all heaters.
How to Install Custom Plenum for Fixing?
- Gather three panels together by gliding the level edges into the openings.
- Inset top panel into the opening.
- Place the final side panel into the target spot.
- Fix it using sheet metal screws along with edges.
How to Install Universal Plenum?
- Calculate the exact sizes
- Shape the required panels according to the sizes
- Bring together side panels
- Fix it with sheet metal screws
- Place and screw the top panel
Note: You should not cut down the plenum height unless the space limitations require you to do so.
How to Connect Plenum to the Heater?
After the plenum has been fixed together, it needs to be connected to the heater. So, you should first determine whether your heater is an up-flow or down-flow model? If you have an up-flow heater, you should fix it to the top of the furnace body.
After you have determined your heater type, you should position the plenum on the supply air hole of the heater and fix it using sheet metal screws along the bottommost edges.
How to Assemble Plenum and Furnace?
When performing the ductwork installation task, you must know that trunk pipes should only come from the plenum sides instead of the top. Hence, the trunk pipes should be placed at least six inches below the top of the plenum. Therefore, it will help maximize air mixing.
What are the Rules to Follow During Installation?
Cap the Ducts with Mastic
It is highly recommended that you should use a UL-181–rated duct mastic to cap the ducts. Also, you can fix the flexible ducts using tie wraps at all connectors. Preferably, all ducts need to be positioned within the conditioned location. Hence, it happens when ducts move through a dropped ceiling.
So, when flexible ducts are positioned outside the space, you should cap them to avoid escaping conditioned air and gain from the external air.
Use What You Require
You should know that friction and airflow cannot exist together, as it creates sagging in the duct. Firstly, the air needs to move farther. It is exposed to the duct’s internal surface. Second, as the duct is not overextended, the wire spines in the duct generate more friction than average.
Hence, to sustain strong airflow, you should plan for brief and straight runs during the design stage. It would be ideal if you focused on the framing plan and path ducts via floor trusses. Also, you should monitor the plan throughout. When you follow this, you won’t need the help of Air Duct Repair and Replacement in Suwanee, GA.
Never Twist Your Flexible Ducts
You should know that twists and sharp turns can hinder proper airflow. Hence, your HVAC might not perform properly, and you may seek the help of Air Duct Cleaning in Suwanee, GA.
Unluckily, if you have poor planning and coordination, your ducts may be compromised due to twists and turns. Hence, you should carefully install ducts.
Support Your Ductwork
Occasionally the ideal track for flex ducts is up and above the barrier. However, without adequate support, sags and twists can develop in your ducts. Thus, hindering your optimum airflow.
Therefore, to avoid issues, you may use lumbers or bands to support regular intervals. Also, you should follow the manufacturer’s instructions:
- Space support should not be more than four feet apart.
- Supports need to have a width of at least one and a half inches.
- If there are sharp bends in duct runs, you should use additional support before and after the bends.
- Never allow the ducts to drop more than half-inch per foot among supports. At the same time, a max drop can be two and a half inches.
- Be careful that support straps should not compress the internal core or restrict airflow.
- Also, supports should not tighten insulation as it can lead to cold spots and increased condensation. Therefore, you may have to deal with HVAC mold growth problems.
Also Read: What are the Top 5 Packaging Trends in 2021?